View Single Post
Old February 8, 2013, 07:30 PM   #7
BigJimP

In general...some of the later dash numbers...( like in a 686 model - popular .357 mag, L frame, Stainless)....production started in 1980 but in the dash 5 era ( starting in 1997 on this model ) is where MIM hammer and floating firing pin show up, MIM trigger and Internal Frame Locks...

a. do any of those things affect how the gun fires ...no..probably not...
b. do they make a difference to some of us - yes, definitely...

but in that model specifically ...you would need to know in the reference material book...that the no dash and dash 1's were recalled - and so some of them, when they were fixed, have a dash M on them...(recall had to do with the hammer nose I believe...) -- so in that model, you don't want a no dash or a dash 1 that hasn't been recalled and modified...

so its all over the board....
-----------
On some of the early models ....like the popular model 27's (N Frame, .357 mag ) ...production started in 1957 ...in the dash 1's the extractor rod goes from a right hand thread to a left hand thread ( useful info ! )...dash 2's are pretty desireable because it was the last series where the barrel is still pinned and the cyclinder is still counterbored....but are the dash 3 guns, bad guns, no certainly not......but I'd rather have a model 27 No dash - thru a dash 2.../ and personally, I like the dash 2's ( for no discernable reason )..../and then on this model, during the dash 3's they got rid of Nickel finish in this model in 1986 ...but the dash 3's started in 1982 so some of them are still Nickel and some aren't ...( and I really like the Nickel )....
----------
and on and on it goes...by model....
------------
Everybody should buy and shoot what they like - what fits their hands, etc...and I have about 25 S&W revolvers ( and I shoot them all - no safe queens ) ...but I can only keep track of the models I really like ...primarily in .357 mag, .44 mag and .22.....( so model 19's, 27's, 28's, 29's - blued or Nickel ) ...and the newer 66's, 686's, 629's etc and everything with a six in front is a stainless gun.../ then focus on frame size M, I , J small, K medium frame, L is a med-large frame, N frame is the Large Frame...and now we have some X frame Very Large. and a lot of collectors focus on K, L and N frames / K frames ( mod 19's, 66's in .357 mag ), L frame model 686's .357 mag , N frame model 27's, 28's in .357 mag....model 29's .44 mag(Dirty Harry fame...)....

The N Frames - model 27's and 29's especially have a devoted following..but there are lots of other N frames..

The S&W collectors book / catalog is about 430 pages of great info ...pick up a 3rd edition, even if you never buy a S&W revolver - its a great read - a great book for your gun library !!

Last edited by BigJimP; February 8, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.04593 seconds with 7 queries