View Single Post
Old February 8, 2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Doc Hoy
I might be able to add a little....

I load .45 LC in two pistols and one rifle.

The pistols are an Uberti Cattleman and a Ruger Vaquero. The rifle is a M92 from Rossi with a 16 Inch barrel. I use about 28 grains of powder behind a 220 grain RNFP from Lee. The bullet has two grooves. Lee calls this bullet (IIRC) a 200 grain bullet but mine consistently weigh 218. I was sizing with a .462 Lee sizing die and it was sizing very consistently and accurately. I originally loaded 35 grains but the recoil was excessive.

I top off this light load with a card which I punch out from an irridescent color poster board. I like to see how far downrange the cards are going so I use this hi-vis stuff. Then cornmeal to the rim of the case and compress it with the bullet.

This round shot consistently and cleanly in the revolvers. But when I bought the rifle I got severe leading in the barrel. My hardness was 12 to 14 and the speeds were right at 1100 fps. So I don't think the lead was too soft. I slugged the barrel on the rifle and got a diameter that was too large for the bullet. I think the bullet was skidding down the barrel and galling the lead off into the grooves.

I have moved to a larger sizing die but I have not yet had a chance to use it.

When I do, I will try the rounds in the revolvers as well.

This should be a start until a smart guy comes in and gives you the straight skinny.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Page generated in 0.03496 seconds with 7 queries