I have decided to switch to BP this year, as I'm sick and tired of all the ammo panic, and have decided to go with traditional hunts only. I only have one BP weapon, an old TC Hawken .50 that my dad built for me years ago. I have some questions about BP hunting, as I haven't shot the thing since I was 12 or 13. I'm 29 now. Yeah, yeah, I've neglected the poor thing, but it's been clean and oiled for all these years and begging for a chance for a comeback. So, here it goes:
- How many shots can usually be fired using Pyrodex RS and a patched RB before cleaning is necessary?
- Is lube necessary on all patches, regardless of charge weight?
- Are cast round balls that much worse than swaged?
- What are your cheapest sources of round balls and other ML components?
- How long can my rifle sit loaded and still be reliable, provided it is kept dry?
- Is there a way to find black powder cheaply, as nobody around here sells it?
- Do harder alloys make acceptable round balls, if I'm casting my own?
- Do Lee molds provide enough life to be worth the $20?
Well, if you've made it this far, thanks for your time.