View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013, 04:08 PM   #28
Logan5579

"Or trade for pure lead with a smokeless shooter who would actually like the harder lead"
Thought about that, I'll keep that thought in the back of my mind.

I've been doing a little reading about fluxing and here's one of the first links I followed:
http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm
a reprinted article from glen fryxell, interesting read...
Here's a quote from that article...
"Let's look at what a flux is expected to do, and how some of the different fluxes work. When we melt a pot of bullet metal, we have a high temperature pool of liquid metal in contact with the air. The oxygen in the air slowly oxidizes the metal at the interface; the hotter the metal, the faster this oxidation takes place. Since this is a heated liquid pool, convection leads to rapid turnover at the surface of the liquid, and the more easily oxidized components of the melt are preferentially oxidized as this mixing takes place. The resulting oxides are almost always insoluble in the molten alloy, so they tend to separate and form a separate phase. In the case of bullet casting alloys, tin is more readily oxidized than is lead, so the tin oxide forms a "skin" across the surface of the melt.

Some of the other metals that may be present as minor impurities are even easier to oxidize, and "follow" the tin up into the "skin" (lead is pretty dense stuff and most all of these oxides are of lower density, so they float)."

Now that got me to wondering, if I don't flux the pot and I just let the metal at the surface skin up a bit as the oxides form and then skim the surface ...am I going to remove enough of whatever mystery metal is alloyed with the lead to give me a more pure pot of lead?
Doc?
Hawg?
Whaddayathink?

Page generated in 0.04498 seconds with 7 queries