View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013, 12:04 PM   #27
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I DO appreciate help, but I do feel like I was being mocked for asking a stupid question. And yes, there really is such a thing as a stupid question.
IMO, there is no such thing as a stupid question, especially when it comes to firearms. However, there are stupid ways to ask one. Ways that make the question hard to take seriously and make the reader wonder if the asker is actually serious. Referring to one caliber as "the shizz" when one has no personal experience with it, really makes others question your experience. Asking if you should mount an ACOG on a .338 Lapua, while a valid question, is also hard to take seriously due to the comments and questions that had been made previously. (And referencing SHTF/TEOTHAWKI is not usually good).

I will try to answer your question to the best of my ability...

You do not want a .338 Lapua, you want a step up from your .270 Win, not 5 steps up. Go with a 7mm out of your two choices. You will have a wider selection of brass and bullets available and it will take you a long time to outgrow its capabilities.

Now, if you are willing to go outside of your two choices, then I would recommend a .260 Remington or a 6XC. The 6XC is a great long range cartridge and will cost less to reload and will be easier on your shoulder than either a 7mm mag or a .338 Lapua.

When you go to optics, go with a manufacturer that has built a name for themselves for quality and service. Leupold, Nightforce, etc., but make sure it has finger adjustable turrets that are easy to read while your head is still on the gun and that it has a FFP reticle.

If you are wanting to get a real tack driver that is capable of working with you out to 1,000 yards, prepare to be spending close to (or more than) $4,000.

Page generated in 0.04291 seconds with 7 queries