Thread: LARD ....... ?
View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013, 07:05 AM   #19
Doc Hoy

Your recipe sounds identical to what I am using now.

Up until recently I hardened up crisco with the wax rings from under toilets. It works fine for cap and ball revolvers which is all I was shooting.

Now shooting BPCR I need a lube that is a little stiffer so I eliminated the wax rings and moved to beeswax. I have a constant cheap source of beeswax and so using it actually made my bore lube cheaper than when I was using was rings.

The reason I asked the questions I did a few posts above is that mutton tallow has some serious supporters who are long time shooters. People on this rofum who command my respect and to whom I should be paying attention.

So if they say that mutton tallow is better than Crisco, I am interested in finding out more about it.

And if lard gives substantially the same performance as mutton tallow, I might try that first.

Also, as Hawg said...I was incorrect when I spoke of lard coming from cows. I guess to me, it doesn't come from pigs or from cows. It comes from the grocery store......

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Page generated in 0.03533 seconds with 7 queries