View Single Post
Old February 3, 2013, 08:17 PM   #327
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0
My view is that further gun control in America will not make any difference regarding mass shootings . I do think some sensible common sense measures could be considered like requiring firearms to be safely stored when not in use.
If further gun control will not make any difference, why should we consider more of it?

Quote:
If universal background checks were required for every gun purchase and those background checks screened for mentally ill people Cho probably would not have been able to purchase the guns legally like he did, and the VT massacre really might not have happened.
If "A," and if B, then maybe C. That's a whole lot of speculation in pushing for a change in law, even if you accept it as a tenable premise.

Quote:
Even a straw purchase would have been unlikely, because it's not like Cho had a lot of friends. It's very probable that there would have been no massacre.
I suspect that the more likely scenario is that Cho would have either made some "friends" who would illegally sell a gun, or Cho would have chosen to build a bomb.

Quote:
. . . .I'm not a wacko, and I have no problems with the govt screening for wackos. If y'all aren't wacko, neither should you. . . . .
Except that the above two statements overlook a whole host of reasons to object to universal background checks: further expansion of federal power, changing the nature of RKBA from Right to privilege; the prospect of full registration being necessary to make UBCs effective; the fact that the federal gov't likely will not be able to prosecute felons for failing to comply with the UBC law. . .

Quote:
If we can't get behind common sense solutions to keep guns out of the hands of wackos, then someone else will come up with solutions for us....
If we start from the idea that what's being pushed is a package of "common sense solutions," we're already starting from a losing position.

Quote:
Don't believe me? They are working on some stuff now -- I don't like most of it, but universal background checks is one good idea. If you guys don't support something that makes sense, you might not like what they come up with. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Even if nothing happens this time around, all it will take is for a couple more crack pots to crack off... When enough people get hurt, a tipping point will eventually be reached.
I maintain that UBCs are a rotten idea. One that will be utterly ineffective without full registration, which will be the next call. Obviously, you're free to go the appeasement route if you wish, but I am unwilling to give up some of my rights in order to be permitted" to keep others. If the antis want to take my rights, they'll have to do it without my acquiescence.

Quote:
Unlike most of you, I do believe universal background checks can help stop mass shootings.
I don't think there's much to support this claim.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman

Page generated in 0.04998 seconds with 7 queries