View Single Post
Old February 2, 2013, 02:27 PM   #4
SL1

Nosler and Hornady Manual Data

From Nosler Reloading Guide #6 for .308 Winchester cartridge loaded to overall length of 2.810" with 150 grain Nosler bulllets using IMR-3031 powder in Nosler cases with Federal 210M primers (velocities from a 24" Lilja barrel with 1-in-10" twist):

41.0 grains gave 94% case fill and 2600 fps
43.0 grains gave 98% case fill and 2740 fps
45.0 grains gave 103% case fill and 2880 fps

Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 8th Edition does not provide data for IMR 3031 powder in this cartridge for bullet weights over 110 grains.

Comparing loads for powders that do appear in both manuals indicates that max loads for the Hornady 150 grain bullets are sometimes substantially higher and sometimes sustantially lower than in the Nosler manual. For example, IMR-4895 has a 1.9 grain higher max for the Hornady bullet, while IMR-4064 has a 3.1 grain lower max. But that may be because Hornady choose not to publish compressed loads and the Nosler load showes 107% case fill with this max and 99% fill withn the IMR-4895 max. In general, for the powders appearing in both manuals, the ones that do not have compressed max loads in the Nosler manual seem to have higher max loads in the Hornady manual, while the powders that have the compressed max loads in the Nosler manual have lower max loads in the Hornady manual.

This indicates to me that the Hornady bullets can be used with slightly higher charge weights than the similar Nosler bullets. That matches my own experience with these two brand in the .270 Winchester cartridge as well as some of the things I have read in the literature. The main difference is that the Nosler bullets have substantially thicker jackets, which tends to increase peak pressure.

So, I would say that you can probably start safely with the Nosler "start" load under a Hornady bullet, but be careful about going the other way. Work-up carefully, and try not to exceed either the Nosler max load or the Nosler max velocity with the loads from your gun. If your barrel is not 24" long, then adjust the expected velocities by about 50 fps per inch of barrel length difference.

Perhaps somebody with an older Hornady manual can check and see if Hornady ever produced pressure-tested data for IMR-3031 with this set of components. I will not be where my older Hornady manuals are located until Monday.

SL1

Last edited by SL1; February 4, 2013 at 08:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.04287 seconds with 7 queries