View Single Post
Old January 31, 2013, 02:47 PM   #5
mjes92

The story gets longer.

I will be making a home made hardness tester and compare it to a known hardness bullet. I have everything I need except a 5/16 ball bearing.

See attached photo. Left to right, Out of the mold bullet, fired cast bullet, and purchased lead bullet of unknow harness. Both fired bullets went through the same rubber material and stopped by an old frying pan backstop. Big difference in the amount of deformation.

The arsnic issue is a little concerning, but as I think about the (3) parts I smelted down they didn't look like they were used for a traditional heavy load rotating shaft bearing application. Which babbit usally is. I always smelt in the open air anyway.

The lead parts where the size of a 1/2 scale bowling ball cut in half. Maybe counter weights. The world will never know. I bent the ladle handle when I melted them down to a more managable size ingot.

The more people I talk to about the lead fouling in the forcing cone the less concerned I am about it. Seems like I'm worrying to much about it. Like I said before, "They shoot great" Very accurate with low recoil. Could shoot all day long.

My latest concern is how much the .38 spl case bulges when I seat the bullet. So I measured the bullet diameter. The Lee 158 grain .358" SWC tumble lube bullet, is as much as .0005" under to .001 over. Depending on where I measure on the bullet. Should I be sizing these bullets? Once again "They shoot great" and they fit in the cylinder.

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bullets.jpg (91.8 KB, 36 views)

Page generated in 0.05216 seconds with 8 queries