I would be looking at used S&W 659 or 5906's. Since this is your first gun, these 9mm's have some features you should know about:
1. All stainless - the weight will help you control the gun and make recoil a bit milder
2. They have de-cockers which lets you drop the hammer safely on a round in the chamber
3. They also have a manual safety
4. They are double action/single action
5. Capacity (as I recall) is 16 rounds with one in the chamber.
6. They are extremely well made and generally don't break.
7. They can handle hot loads.
Last edited by Skans; January 28, 2013 at 09:10 AM.