View Single Post
Old January 27, 2013, 01:18 PM   #73
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
So, Frank, I see you are going to take my responses out of context. This is unusual for you....
Sorry you feel that way. I'm really not trying to have a head-to-head, point-by-point debate.

I think that I've stated my views on this subject and that they're pretty straight forward:
  • Post 56:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank Ettin
    ...in my view the responsible gun owner secures his guns against unauthorized access, and that means keeping it on his person or locking it up. Whether or not he's legally obligated to do so is beside the point. It's a matter of personal responsibility and prudence...
  • Post 61:
    Quote:
    ....without considering the possibility of legal liability, I consider it irresponsible for a gun owner not to secure his guns from unauthorized access, and to me that means locking up guns, except for a gun which you might have under your immediate control, on your person...
  • Post 56:
    Quote:
    ...The reality is that there are a number of bases upon which a gun owner, in the real world, can be found to have liability for not taking what a judge or jury might think are adequate precautions to prevent, or at least minimize the risk of, unauthorized access to his gun....
  • Post 61:
    Quote:
    ...if folks don't want an expansion of laws requiring safe storage or imposing liability for unauthorized access to unsecured guns, a good way to head those types of laws off is to voluntarily lock up any gun not under your immediate control on your person....
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.04581 seconds with 7 queries