View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 08:56 PM   #123
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Shooter
Background checks are supported by the vast majority of Americans.
Source?

I ask, but note that in some things, I do not care what the "vast majority of Americans support." That's the beauty of Rights. They're not subject to mob rule.

Quote:
Nebraska Press Assn. v. Stuart

Quote:
"A prior restraint, by contrast and by definition, has an immediate and irreversible sanction."
Maybe you can explain it a little further how it meets that definition?
It is akin (meaning related, but not identical) to a prior restraint in that it requires me and other law abiding citizens to gain governmental permission before we're allowed to exercise a fundamental, individual right. I will never regain the time I lose going through the hassle, and I will never be refunded whatever fee I must pay for the privilege.

Quote:
It is a right only because you say it is. It says "to keep and bear" not "unrestrained right to trade as you see fit".
No, it's a right because the 2A says so. See "shall not be infringed. If a right is to mean anything, we must have the tools necessary to exercise the right: ink, paper, firearms, etc.

Quote:
I would feel better knowing that it was unlikely that the gun I had sold was not to a prohibited person. For me that is enough.
Great! Go use an FFL, then. That doesn't explain your suggestion that everyone be required to use them, though. Will you really feel better about your sales if I have to do a background check?

Quote:
We have had NICS for nearly 20 years. Cost to the dealer was and is still $0.00.
Yes, and we pay for it in taxes. So?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
And your solution is to go ahead and let the anti-2A folks have the first move? Instituting universal checks will be a much larger inconvenience than it will be for felons.
A big part of the problem in this thread is a very mistaken assumption from some that everyone who wants background checks is an anti.
I have made no such assumption.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman

Page generated in 0.04844 seconds with 7 queries