View Single Post
Old January 24, 2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

displaying some old semi auto's... inserting a rod into the barrel???

some of you may know that I'm completing a walk in gun safe room... so, I've been looking at ways of displaying some of my collection on the wall...

I designed my own rifle racks, & that design seems to work pretty well for revolvers with at least 4" barrels... however it does not work well with snubbies or any semi auto short of full sized guns...

part of my collection includes Czech rifles & pistols, that my FIL had collected before he died, a good portion of this collection are early service autos in 32 & 380... they don't work well in my existing racks...

so I was looking at building shelves, & using some sort of pistol holder & putting 2 or 3 on a shelf... seen the kind that a wood block replaces the magazine, & wire ones that lay the gun at an angle, as well as the clear acrylic ones... part of the problem, is all these guns vary from 25 auto to 9mm, so one stand won't fit all...

while looking for ideas, I ran across a display stand, that for lack of a better description, looks like an old TV antenna with a center vertical piece of metal, with several horizontal rods, which slip into the barrel, to hang the guns...

I'm thinking about building my own, to match my others which use matching wood ( to my paneling ) I use a 2 X 4 finished with radiused edges for verticals with pegs to hold the long guns, thinking about using the same wood boards, but drilling horizintal holes for "rods"...

sorry this was so long before actually getting to the question...

thoughts on type of metal for the rods ??? steel / stainless steel would likely wear on the barrel, if slid in & out many times ( my other semi's, which may get shot more often than the antiques, will likely end up on a similar disply rack )... so I thought a softer metal... with aluminum, I could end up with galvanic corrosion over time... so was thinking brass...

thoughts or suggestions ???

a pic of the racks I built for the rifles & revolvers... ( I'd like something that looks like it matches these...

Page generated in 0.04369 seconds with 7 queries