View Single Post
Old January 23, 2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Gaerek

Quote:
I'm hoping the advantage is that I can position to gun where it's easier to get to, but otherwise hidden from view. The rigid leather form seems to keep to gun movement a bit freer that with a soft, conforming holster that is positioned deeper in my pocket.
I can understand that. There are tons of niche holsters out there (refer to the pagerpal I linked earlier) and this might fit a niche. Not for everyone, but certainly for someone.

Quote:
I debated a length-adjustable strap on this prototype, using snaps, Velcro, laces, etc to handle the issue of different pants pocket 'drops', but haven't thought out the best solution. The buckling of the strap doesn't seem to be a problem insofar as accessing the gun goes. But, that's certainly a matter of personal opinion/preference... I can understand your concerns over that.
And it might not even be as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be. If you say it doesn't interfere, I'll take your word on that, since you're the one making it and using it. If it were something you were looking at marketing though, I'd seriously consider making the strap adjustable. People like holsters they can easily customize for their own usage.

Quote:
Mea Culpa... I didn't intent to suggest a phone or other object be placed in with the holster. Nothing in that pocket but gun! It was my intent that if the holster printed, it would be seen as a phone, tablet, wallet, or some such.
I completely misunderstood you here. I thought it would be something that would conceal the strap. Looking at the later pictures, it appears that it hides the printing quite well. Something to think about though, if I saw you walking down the street with a big piece of leather coming out of your pocket and attaching to your belt, I'd be really curious what was on the other end of the strap. It could be possible, if you used nylon as the strap, to maybe make the straps in many colors so they could go with different colors of pants (denim blue, khaki and black would likely cover 90% of all pants). Something to think about again, if you were planning on marketing this.

Quote:
The DeSantis design mentions one of my issues. The reverse angled front sight on the XDS snags on the current holster I have and makes a smooth draw impossible... not just difficult. I do understand that this may be a problem specific to my gun selection. But, I trying to solve it with a shaped holster.
The more I'm thinking about your design, the more I see where it could be useful. Whereas a DeSantis works great on my very rounded LCR, with ramped sight, I understand where it wouldn't work well on a larger striker fired pistol, like the XDS or a Glock or something. The problem is certainly based on the gun you've chosen to carry, and how you've chosen to carry it, but if you have a way to carry it that way, then you should. It appears that if nothing else, this holster design gives you (and other people, if you wish to sell it) more options.

Quote:
The strap is high enough that it's not particularly in the way.
Good then.

Quote:
Negative is OK! I asked for feedback.

The real issue for me is that I just plain DON'T LIKE the weight of a gun in my pocket. I know the gun is still hanging on my hip, but it doesn't feel near as funky as when it's in my pocket.

I think I'll just wear it for a while and see. I'm heavy-set, so a quick pocket draw is only possible if the gun butt is close to, and just inside my pocket. Otherwise, as with a phone, etc. I'll have to extend my leg a bit to get it out.

Appreciate the feedback!
I'm a big guy too, so I understand the issues you're bringing up. Let us know how your testing and prototyping goes. I'm interested to see the evolution of this, especially since I am beginning to see some good uses for the holster.

Page generated in 0.04472 seconds with 7 queries