View Single Post
Old January 22, 2013, 12:12 PM   #35
Vanya
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommygunNG
Vanya, stop with the haikus and say something of substance.

Alabama Shooter: You are incapable of reading things in context. I was talking about the growing situation. On that, the quote from Tennessee Shooter someone posted goes will with what I said, though his definition of "the militia" is off. Actually it's "the militia"--singular--"of the several states" (Article 1, Section 8). Aside from that, he makes several points in his post.
'Twas I who posted that. If you read what I quoted from TG carefully, you'll see that his use of "militia" is spot-on: "The unorganized militia spoken about in 10 USC 311 is nothing more than a pool of individuals who may be used to fill the ranks of the organized militia which is the National Guard."

You're right that militia is a singular noun. Apart from that, he does indeed make several points and what they add up to is this: the unorganized militia is a dead letter, an obsolete concept, and has been for a long time, except in the sense that it's the pool of people eligible to be called up for military service.

And if you don't think my reference to the Heller decision has any substance... you haven't been paying attention.

As to the haiku, this is what's technically known as "irony" -- your many words deserve but few in response... But here are some more, anyway. Here's the current U.S. code on the composition of the militia, organized and unorganized:
10 USC Sec. 311 01/03/2012 (112-90)

-STATUTE-
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied
males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section
313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a
declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States
and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the
National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are -
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard
and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of
the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the
Naval Militia.
From your original, as posted by Uncle Buck:

"2. Right to arms: Preservation of a baseline of private arms suitable to an individual's station in life for the militia purpose of defense of home and homeland.
<snip>
"The theory of the "militia rifle" (aka, "Homeland Defense Rifle") is the intersection of Article 1, Section 8, Clauses 15-16 and Amendment 2. The Article allows for "arming" the "militia." Thus, even as an active duty soldier does not have a "right" to carry whatever arm he or she chooses, the "unorganized militia" would be subject to regulation. HOWEVER, the Amendment would preclude such a regulation from effectively DISarming the private individual in militia terms.
<snip>
"[The "official militia rifle"] would be--subject to mandatory periodic reviews of technology--THE Second Amendment-protected weapon.""

If you read both of these, and think about them for a moment, you'll see that your proposal would potentially disarm all women who are not members of the National Guard, as we are not part of the unorganized militia, and so would not be entitled to possess "THE Second Amendment-protected weapon."

Sakeneko and I both think that this is a really, really bad idea.

And it could also disarm all males aged 45 and older; perhaps some of the male members here would like to weigh in on how they'd feel about that.

Last edited by Vanya; January 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: clarification.

Page generated in 0.04765 seconds with 7 queries