View Single Post
Old January 21, 2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man
Helping a newbie with with a Hornady LNL AP... primer feed

1st off, I don't reload ( currently ) with a progressive, but have been loading for over 20 years off a one of several single stages...

buddies family bought him a progressive for his 1st press... got a couple issues...

1st issue... the press seems to be missing a spring wire clip that goes into the drop tube. that keeps the correct length collar for the powder measure in place, I suspect he'll have to contact Hornady & get a replacement part...

2nd, the primer shuttle does not reliably feed primers... he didn't know how sensitive the press was to dust, & has had it set up in his heated garage ( in which he also does wood working ) so even though he did the initial clean & dry lube a while ago, in accordance with the DVD, we went through & cleaned everything again yesterday, to remove any saw dust ( which there was alot of crud initially in the primer shuttle mechanism ) but even re-cleaned, it seemed to have an issue binding up... I found that by loosening the riser tube screw a little, we could make it work "some", by dropping the handle a little past where the shuttle should have started moving, then giving a wiggle to the riser tube, would often allow it to free up, & we could continue to prime... I got all his dies set up, & with all the issues priming, we did that as a seperate process, mostly, & since we couldn't use the powder measure, we pulled cases at that stage & scaled some charges ( enough for 25 cartridges ) then seated the bullets, for finished cartridges, so I know everything is set up right...

so... in talking with a couple other buddies, that have the LNL AP, sounds like the primer shuttle is a common problem... is that something that the user can fix, or does that require sending it in ???
In life you either make dust or eat dust...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 21, 2013 at 08:04 AM.
Page generated in 0.06500 seconds with 7 queries