The insurance and special taxes are a tactic to raise the cost of owning firearms to eliminate ownership by those at the lower end of the economic spectrum.
The elite wealthy will be okay.
CA has done similar things, some less overt, to make firearms as expensive as possible. It has a racial and socio-economic discriminatory outcome in disarming those most likely to be exposed to violent crime, but that is I guess a feature, not a bug, in the program.
This will get cut down, and the vagueness of the ammo ban may get it tossed in court (CA tried a similar ban and it lost on challenge).
The naked intent is clear. Sandy Hook is an excuse.
This is the original list of particulars desired in NY state:
1. Confiscation of “assault weapons”
2. Confiscation of ten round clips
3. Statewide database for ALL Guns
4. Continue to allow pistol permit holder’s information to be replaced to the public
5. Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as “assault weapons”
6. Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines
7. Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines
8. Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month
9. Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners
10. Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years
11. State issued pistol permits
12. Micro-stamping of all guns in New York State
13. Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers
14. Mandatory locking of guns at home
15. Fee for licensing, registering weapons
MA is "improving" on the NY list.
Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will.
— Mark Twain
Last edited by HarrySchell; January 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM.