View Single Post
Old January 16, 2013, 02:51 PM   #82
Vanya
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
I fear background checks and training requirements because they allow a tightening of the noose on the Second Amendment; I fear background checks and training requirements because they allow a way for the political equivalent of the country club set to keep "those people" from becoming members of the right to bear arms club; I fear background checks and training requirements because they turn a right into a privilege.

Instead of positing that the only people who fear background checks are those with criminal histories, I would posit that the only people who do not fear background checks are the ones who have not thought it through.
Exactly.

Saying that "The innocent have nothing to fear" leads to a very slippery slope.

I too have no problem passing the NICS background check, but I do resent it, even though I see the point of trying to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, etc. But the NCIS already doesn't do much good there: a criminal who really wants a gun can get one easily enough. The only thing that makes the current system tolerable for me is that the FBI is required to destroy identifying information after 24 hours, and all records after 90 days.

I'm not that troubled by the retention requirement for 4473s by FFLs, but for the government to have a permanent database including records of what guns I own -- No, thank you.

And the current requirements for destruction of records are contained in the regulations regarding the implementation of the GCA, so presumably could be changed without going through Congress. THAT bothers me...

Page generated in 0.05698 seconds with 7 queries