Presidential Press Conference
So, just got done watching the conference on Fox News. Although President Obama did NOT talk about what the 23 executive orders were exactly that he signed, he did call upon congress to do the following things:
1. Universal background checks for ANYONE to buy a gun. This would close the gunshow loophole which was quoted as accounting for 40% of all gun purchases. He also called upon the background checks to be more thorough.
2. Restore a ban on military-style assault weapons and limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds.
3. Called upon congress to help rather than hinder the stopping of people purchasing guns for those who should not have them. This was very vague.
4. Called upon congress to confirm Todd Jones as the director of BATFE and blamed congress for there being no director confirmed for the last 6 years.
5. Put more cops on the streets.
Some of the items I heard him generally reference which could be part of the executive actions were:
- Strengthen background checks
- Help schools hire resource officers, if they want them
- Better mental illness reporting
- Direct CDC to research contributors to gun violence and called out the video game and movie industry specifically
Can anyone find anything concrete on the 23 items contained in the executive order he signed?