View Single Post
Old January 16, 2013, 12:05 PM   #16
tyme
Staff

Yes, I think it does, the way guns are currently regulated (with lowers being the evil part).

The disadvantage to handmade, small machine-shop, and 3d-printer-produced firearms is that certain parts won't be as durable, and, for uppers, guns won't be as accurate (ak-47s are notorious for loose tolerances, for instance).

Lower accuracy might have affected the Beltway snipers, but they could have simply switched to a bolt-action rifle. Whitman had an M1 but it was similarly not critical to the outcome (I can't find how many rounds he shot from which guns). None of this semi-auto high-cap paranoia materially affects either of those cases. For the rest of the rampage/spree killers... neither accuracy nor durability (to a point) makes much difference. They're short-range attacks.

It's precisely law-abiding citizens who want high-reliability, higher-accuracy firearms. They want the full advantages of modern commercial cnc manufacturing tech, modern heat treating tech, and sometimes cryo for barrels: for reliability, accuracy, durability. Criminals don't care so much. They're not putting hundreds of rounds (sometimes more) per month through their firearms.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; January 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.04520 seconds with 7 queries