Thread: Blackhorn 209:
View Single Post
Old January 11, 2013, 10:10 AM   #10
As an experiment, I once let a loaded and capped BP revolver go 4 full years with real black powder. The Crisco in the chamber mouths had dried up and shrunk a bit, so I smeared some new stuff on, stepped outside and all six went bang, no problem. No corrosion and no problems firing.
Three years ago I put a couple of loaded cylinders away and left them alone until a month or so ago. The load was 35gr pyrodex p, vegetable fiber wad, lube cookie made from beeswax and lard, 220gr conicals that I cast myself, cci #11 magnum primers that fit perfectly on the nipples. The cylinders stayed in the top of the closet of my storage room in which I've closed the central heat/air vents so it gets a little warm in summer, a little cool in winter. One pretty day I decided to see if they fired and if so how well...was curious to see if they developed the "pop...boom" syndrome or if they were dead. Well I was happy to get BOOM X 12! No hangfire and no decrease in power from a fresh load (as far as I could tell). That was a good day shootin, I put 24 more shots through each cylinder...just for the heck of it.

It's near impossilbe to get real black around here so I've almost always used pyro p...but I don't mind gettin dirty and smokin up the neighborhood, to me it's part of the fun!
Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it
Page generated in 0.08072 seconds with 7 queries