View Single Post
Old January 7, 2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Fishing_Cabin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 10, 2010
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack59
I am suddenly hearing this new statistic:

"40 percent of guns are sold without a background check"

Which is quoted in story after story

I have seen it attributed to The Brady Campaign and to Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Where is it from? And how did they arrive at that estimate?
Its older information. This is the source that I have known of for many years, keep in mind 60% of store sales(FFL) leaves 40% for private sales:

Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms.

Series: NIJ Research in Brief
Published: May 1997
20 pages
41,893 bytes

National Institute of Justice
Research in Brief

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Source
The predominant sources of guns, unsurprisingly,
were stores (60 percent).
Other important sources
included family members and acquaintances. The 3
percent of respondents who indicated that they
obtained guns "through the mail" (which is illegal
for all but FFLs) may have misremembered or may
have referred to a mail-order purchase arranged
through an FFL.

The average gun obtained in 1993 and 1994 was worth
$392 at the time of transfer, with little
difference between handguns and long guns. Fewer
than 1 in 20 guns acquired during those 2 years
were valued at less than $100.

Fifty-seven percent of firearms were obtained from
stores, pawnshops, or other sources that the
respondents were certain to have been federally
licensed firearm dealers. Some respondents were not
sure about whether the source was an FFL. Others
indicated that the source was an FFL but then
reported that the transaction was a trade rather
than a cash sale or that the source was an
acquaintance or family member. If those cases are
included, the proportion increases to 64 percent.

We conclude that approximately 60 percent of gun
acquisitions involved an FFL and hence were subject
to Federal regulations on such matters as
out-of-State sales, criminal history checks, and
recordkeeping.
A somewhat higher percentage of
handgun acquisitions than long gun acquisitions
involved FFLs. The remaining acquisitions,
amounting to about 2 million per year, were
off-the-books transfers in the secondary market.
This survey was done using Data collected by telephone survey, so I would take the results with a grain of salt....Just my opinion.

Quote:
The NIJ-sponsored National Survey
of Private Ownership of Firearms (NSPOF)
was conducted by Chilton Research Services
of Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, during
November and December 1994. Data collected
by the survey were analyzed by the
authors of this Research in Brief.

The telephone survey employed a listassisted
random-digit-dial sampling
method, in which every residential telephone
number had the same likelihood of
being selected. Each household selected
in this fashion was scheduled for as many
calls as needed (up to a maximum of six)
to make contact with the appropriate person
and complete the interview. When a
household was first contacted, the interviewer
asked to speak with the adult in
the household who had the most recent
birthday. Because this method randomizes
the selection of respondents from
among the adults living in the household,
the NSPOF was a probability sample of
adults in the United States.
Fishing_Cabin is offline  
 
Page generated in 0.04487 seconds with 7 queries