View Single Post
Old January 7, 2013, 02:00 PM   #20
D.W. Drang
You kids today with your optical sights and your fifty-'leven uniforms and your frequency hopping radios and...

I always said that, in the exceedingly unlikely event that I became Sergeant Major of the Army, I would redo the marksmanship standards so that everyone qualified twice a year, once on the "combat" range with pop-ups at random distances, and once on a USMC-style KD range. Optics issued on the pop-up range, irons only on the KD, since it is testing pure marksmanship.

I would also have emulated the Swiss, with lower enlisted and Junior NCOs getting cash incentives for marksmanship; senior NCOs and officers would be fined for failing.

I would also have encouraged the Army to allow deployment with privately owned sidearms (as long as they came from an "approved list", a la practice at many if not most police departments) as long as the service member qualified with that sidearm--ammo purchased by the service member. (Again, from an "approved list", alas, can't have Joe using hollow points to kill tangos...)
Imagine you're an idiot. Now imagine that you're in Congress--but I repeat myself."
S. Clemens
Page generated in 0.05608 seconds with 7 queries