View Single Post
Old December 22, 2012, 10:52 PM   #6
wyop

For the stock, you could give it a little sprucing up with some Johnson's paste wax on 0000 steel wool. You're not looking to bear down on the steel wool, just give the stock a light buff-down and remove haze and surface gunk.

As for the steel, if the blueing is in good shape, then all you need to do is wipe it down with a light coat of oil. An old gun in good shape that doesn't have damage or rust is entitled to have a patina of age.

Refinishing: Worst possible of all worlds is someone buffs out the metal on a wheel. Corners get rounded, details are lost, lettering is washed out. Real refinishing means real work, polishing by hand with polishing paper backed with a hard object. I have a bunch of aluminum and walnut blocks I used for backing paper into tight spaces and corners and use a bunch of different types of papers to get the finish right. I'll polish up to 400 to get rid of 320-level marks, then I might back down to some used 320 paper after the 400. Polishing that preserves details and is hard to detect takes time and some skill.

Page generated in 0.04063 seconds with 7 queries