View Single Post
Old December 15, 2012, 01:23 PM   #82
2.5 MOA :p

Yesterday morning I went to the range to sight in a Remington Model 7 .243. I took along my Rem 700 BDL Varmint .308, thinking after I was done shooting in the .243 in, maybe I'd try some .308 125 grainers I'd loaded up.

I already had the .243 bore sighted so I slapped a few stick on targets on an ISPC target and set it on the target stand at 100 yards. After I sat up the Model 7 on the bench, I suddenly had the bright idea of shooting a quick five shot group with the .308, while lying prone on the concrete and using nothing but the bipod for support.

I loaded the magazine all the the way, then pressed them down and put one in the chamber, now it was going to be a six shot group. I set the 3-9 scope on six power and lay down on the cold 35 degree concrete. I got comfortable and hit the go button on my range timer, when the buzzer went off, I aimed at the lower left target, squeezed the trigger and blah, blah, blah...20.8 seconds latter I was empty. Then I fired three shots off the bench in about a minute, with the unsighted in .243 Model 7.

The .308, off the bipod in 20.8 seconds group, measured 2.5 inches exactly from outside edge to outside edge. The .243 group(first one I ever fired with that rifle by the way) measures 9/10ths of an inch.

Several things going on here. I haven't fired a rifle in several weeks. My 700 BDL Varmint is sighted in with 150 grain Ballistic Tips. I had never tried that 125 grain load in any of my four .308 rifles. I shot off the cold concrete, with no mat and only the bipod for support and I shot fast.

Is it a good group under the circumstances? I don't know, its kind of mediocre in my mind, but its real, honest and every shot would have been deadly to pretty far out there.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."- Thomas Jefferson
Page generated in 0.03389 seconds with 7 queries