Thread: DAO Q
View Single Post
Old December 13, 2012, 09:52 AM   #11
DAO triggers tend to be be very different from one another. Don't assume that just because a DAO utilizes a hammer to strike the firing pin it has second strike capability. The Ruger LC9 is DAO hammer design, but no second strike capability.
+1; the aforementioned hammer-fired S&W Model 3953, along with all the other 3rd-gen metal-frame S&W DAO pistols, also operates this way.

The trigger of a S&W DAO metal-frame pistol is partially pre-set when the slide is cycled, which yields about 2/3 the trigger pull length and weight of the first-shot DA trigger pull of a traditional DA/SA S&W pistol; however, the DAO models lack second-strike capability, whereas the DA/SA versions have it. The DAO models also have an unusual rounded hammer that can't be hand-cocked, but it projects from the slide when the trigger is pre-set, giving the shooter an obvious tactile indication that the pistol is ready to fire.
I don't recall any DAO pistols other than the Taurus models that have re-strike capability.
The SIG P250 and P290 do. SIG pistols with the DAK trigger have it, as does the HK USP with the DAO or LEM trigger modules; however, both the DAK and LEM triggers have a short-reset feature that allows follow-up shots with a shorter and lighter pull if the shooter does not return the trigger fully forward, so they're arguably not "true DAO".

AFAIK the Walther P99DAO also has second-strike capability, but I've had a hard time verifying this because I understand that this pistol is rare to the point of near nonexistence on the U.S. commercial market, so there's not much info available about it.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules... MARK IT ZERO!!" - Walter Sobchak

Last edited by carguychris; December 13, 2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Page generated in 0.06723 seconds with 7 queries