View Single Post
Old December 11, 2012, 11:29 AM   #150
Gaerek

Quote:
I'm not Jerry miculek, neither are you. Compare Jerry's reload time to the fastest auto reloader. Grab ten people off the street and time them with both.
Never said you were or I was. My point was that with practice, anyone can reload a revolver very quickly. Quick enough that it's only maybe 30% slower than an auto. Certainly not negligible, but we're talking the extra time is less than a second. The key, just like everything, is practice.

And again, statistics show that in a gun fight, you will almost certainly not have to reload, with a revolver or an auto.

Quote:
If you use averaging to make a generalization, revolvers are heavier.
Ok, I can accept that. But for people who care about weight, they are going to go for the lightest they can. The scandium framed S&W J-Frame can hold 5 rounds of .357 Magnum, and is in a package of just under 12oz. Show me an auto with equivalent power in that weight. Most people don't care about weight. I don't. I carry a G19 that is 21oz unloaded, and about 30oz loaded. The reason I went with the 19 and not the 17 had nothing to do with weight. I wanted a smaller frame. I could just as easily carry a K frame revolver. The extra few ounces of weight wouldn't bother me.

Again, for those that weight does matter, revolvers are lighter. For most, weight is a secondary or even tertiary issue. And light and powerful guns are the realm of revolvers...not autos.

Quote:
A revolver has the ammo and more of the gun's weight above and forward of the hand than an auto. The bore is generally higher above the grip. Ergonomics are an objective subject, individual preference may not be.
I'll quote micromontenegro on this one, as he has the right idea, since ergonomics is also about grip design as well:

Quote:
A revolver's grip is designed with a single purpose in mind: to provide the best hold. A semiauto's grip is designed to hold... ammo.
My Glock's grip's #1 purpose is to hold a double stack magazine. The ergonomics of the grip are limited by this fact. This is one reason why many people hate the Glock grip. I have big hands, so it doesn't bother me, personally. A nice Hogue or Pachmyr grip on a revolver kills anything that can be done to a Glock to make it more comfortable.

As far as the weight issue, well, some people see the weight of a revolver being forward of center a good thing. It helps with recoil. This is why raceguns typically are as heavy up front as possible. Ergonomics is important if you're doing something for a long time, several times a week. It's why my wife got a $1400 chair in her office. It's cheaper for them to pay for an expensive chair than for them to pay for sick leave and insurance costs because she gets back trouble. When you're in a shooting situation, the last thing that matters is how well the gun feels, ESPECIALLY if you've been practicing with what you're carrying, be it an auto or revolver.

In other words, if you like the feel of your gun, the ergo's don't really matter all that much. Making this issue subjective.

Quote:
When referring to simplicity of operation, I was referring to the mechanical operation of the mechanism, not the task imposed on the operator. Revolvers are more complex mechanically.
I know several gunsmiths that would greatly disagree with you. It's the mechanical complexity of an automatic that makes them more prone to malfunction than a revolver. Think about everything that happens in an auto when you pull the trigger. For a Glock, here's basically (there's more that happens, I know, but I'm trying to keep it simple) what happens:

1) Striker spring is compressed the rest of the way
2) Striker is released
3) Striker hits primer of round
4) Round is propelled out of the barrel
5) Slide begins to move back
6) After about 1/4in (I can't remember now), barrel locks up, slide continues to move back
7) Extractor that must be able to grip spent casing pushes casing again ejector causing spent casing to be ejected
8) On return trip, slide grabs next round in magazine and pushes it into chamber.
9) As slide moves forward, trigger is reset and gun is back into battery, ready for next trigger squeeze.

For a revolver:

1) As trigger is pulled, hammer is pulled back
2) As trigger is pulled, cylinder is rotated to next chamber
3) Hammer is released, and falls on the firing pin
4) Firing pin strikes round primer
5) Round is propelled out of the barrel
6) As trigger is released, trigger is reset for next shot

I've left out some steps for simplicity purposes, but I've left out more for the auto than for the revolver. I'm sorry, a revolver is more simple mechanically than an auto.

I thought of another +1 to revolvers (besides being less prone to malfuncton, which you haven't mentioned at all). At contact distance, if you have your gun pressed against someone's body, a revolver will go bang. An auto could easily be pushed out of battery and won't fire. You have to be cognizant of this fact with an auto and not press the gun against your target.

Quote:
I need to be more diligent about my facts.
Fixed it for you.

Here's the thing, it's obvious that you're a semiauto guy. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I am too. It's not worth it to take it personally that people disagree with you that you think autos are better. It's all personal preference. You've also not shown anything conclusive that shows why autos are better than revolvers. All things considered, they both have their benefits and drawbacks. It's why I carry one of each. I get the capacity and other benefits of an auto, with the reliability of the revolver.

Page generated in 0.04787 seconds with 7 queries