View Single Post
Old December 10, 2012, 09:06 PM   #13
serf 'rett

I wouldn’t conclude there is no problem just because the remaining 50 are identical. If you have some 180 grain 40S&W or 200 grain 10mm in the mix, then you have a problem.

Have you used brass with one headstamp for your loads? For kicks and giggles a few months ago, I measured the lengths and weighted 20 pieces each of four different 40S&W headstamps, with the following results:

Federal-average weight 66.0 grains, minimum to maximum spread 5.9 grains
Remington-average weight 66.3 grains, minimum to maximum spread 2.2 grains
Blazer-average weight 67.8 grains, minimum to maximum spread 2.1 grains
Winchester-average weight 69.7 grains, minimum to maximum spread 2.1 grains

Since I generally sort by headstamp and batch load using the same headstamp and since I’ve weighted cases and gotten and idea of the average weights, minimum to maximum spread, along with standard deviations (not shown above), I’d feel fairly comfortable that I could see anything which resembled a 25 grain jump in cartridge weight. I’d weigh ‘em, before I’d pull ‘em, but that’s just me. I’d weight the whole batch, separate by weight, pound out the bullet on the heaviest and check if it’s around 155 grains. Might even check the five heaviest. No need to explain what you should do if you find a 180 or 200 grain in the mix.

I’d be comfortable doing this ONLY because I’ve already developed a simple baseline on these four makes of brass.

Page generated in 0.04707 seconds with 7 queries