View Single Post
Old December 10, 2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Thanks for the info guys. I am no novice at casting. Just to the hollow base single cavity. All of my molds are Lee. I may end up with an old Lyman mold for .308 bullets of one weight or other. A guy at work has a relative that is talking of selling it for a cheap price. I will talk to him on that when he gets back from vacation.

I know to remove the oil from the mold before casting with it. I use brake parts cleaner. Then brush it with Dawn, and dunk into boiling water. Then rinse. I lube all the areas needed with Mobil 1 it works, and I have 10 quarts of it on hand for changing oil in my truck.

I always preheat my molds on a gas stove on low as the lead heats up. I have about 40 or so pounds of melted ingots of stick on wheel weights. About 150 or so of the clamp on ones. If I need harder then I use some plumber's silver solder.

Oh and the rifle shot well with .459 sized bullets, with no lead at all. Only carbon from the lube.
No matter how many times you do it and nothing happens it only takes something going wrong one time to kill you.
Page generated in 0.03515 seconds with 7 queries