Thread: S&W 4026??
View Single Post
Old December 10, 2012, 09:52 AM   #8
carguychris

A few more notes...

Quote:
I would add to any list citing the pros of S&W "Third Generation" semi-auto pistols, extreme reliability and tank-like durability.
+1; I had to finish my first post in great haste and should have mentioned that.
Quote:
First, if the gun appears to be well-kept and in good shape, that's a fine price. It's not a steal, but it's a very good price. Recently, the market is being flooded with law-enforcement and duty trade-in Smith & Wesson 3rd Generation pistols, though most appear to be in the 9mm chambering. This glut of guns may soften the market a bit for 3rd Gen pistols.
I dunno, IMHO $400 is a pretty darn good deal if the pistol is really clean, but YMMV; as always, it's difficult to judge condition based on a brief description on the Internet.

The lack of a box is a definite minus; the lack of extra mags less so, because there is an absolute glut of LE surplus 40-series mags on the market right now. I've seen them advertised for as little as $8.99/ea.

Speaking of LE surplus and the soft 3rd-gen market, I have seen beater LE M4006's languish unsold literally for months at $329, and I purchased a ~90% M3904 (9mm single-stack full-size alloy frame) last year for $300 OTD, but I've also seen LNIB pistols fly out the door for $600+. There seems to be a definite collector market for super-clean 3rd-gens, but values and market demand fall off VERY quickly with declining condition.
Quote:
This one is DAO, which in gun terms, is "double action only." That means there is no first shot difference than the rest of the shots.
Ummm, no; methinks you have this one mixed up with the M4046, which features a short-stroke preset DAO trigger without second-strike capability or a decocking feature.

The M4026 is DA/SA with second-strike capability like a conventional S&W 3rd-gen pistol; it just decocks with a SIG-style lever rather than a slide-mounted decocker/safety.
Quote:
True DA/SA pistols... take some getting used to -- the transition is very difficult to become an "expert" with.
+1. However, as Sevens said, IMHO at $400 you're likely to not lose any money on this pistol if you try it for a while and decide you don't like it.
Quote:
While it is absolutely true that 3rd Gens are large, bulky and heavy handguns, and the weight helps to soak up felt recoil -- it's my opinion that these pistols also have a higher bore axis and a chamber that is further forward and I find them to offer more recoil than might be expected from a newer design.
Felt recoil is always subjective, but IMHO Sevens is correct about the muzzle flip; S&W metal-frame pistols categorically have lots of it. This, combined with the notoriously "snappy" .40S&W round, may result in high felt recoil for you, but YMMV.

I have to confess that I've never fired a .40S&W 3rd-gen pistol; in fact, the only ones I've fired have been 9mm. FWIW I find that a M5906 (steel-frame full-size double-stack 9mm) has less felt recoil overall than my M&P9 FS, but it definitely has more muzzle flip despite the fact that it weighs almost 1lb more.

Page generated in 0.04573 seconds with 7 queries