View Single Post
Old December 10, 2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man
I'm a long time 45-70 owner & hunter ( with 4-5 different guns ) & as newbie in my FIL's deer hunting camp ( many years ago ) I got the "honor" of field dressing all the deer the 1st couple years I went up there... guns typically used ranged from .243, to 300 Win Mag, & I used a 45-70... the 45-70 put down large white tails as fast as anything, with less damaged meat, than even the .243... the blood shot ( bruising ) around the wound track from the higher velocity rounds more often than not, resulted in more loss than that big ol 45 slug moving a bit slower

I used a 22" barrel rifle to start with, & moved shorter... I now have a Guide gun, & actually shoot more with my 14" Contender barrel ( though I've now graduated to a 10" "HOT" 45 Colt barrel & load... if I don't go up north, I'm in shotgun zone, where I'm allowed to use a handgun in the shotgun zone... I'll still use my guide gun, if I go up north, or if I'm hunting "south" I use a Contender...

as far as loads... the factory 300 & 405 both work well... 300's actually kick more, as they move out much faster... I used 300's mostly, when shooting factory, now that I'm handloading, I'm using the Remington 405 bullet, but at velocities closer to the factory 300's
In life you either make dust or eat dust...
Page generated in 0.04237 seconds with 7 queries