View Single Post
Old December 6, 2012, 07:52 PM   #39
Nathan

Well, this last page has changed the conversation quite a bit, but I still want to ask something based on this quote. . .BTW, I could have quoted 4 - 5 posts of similar material. . .
Quote:
I agree with everyone here so far get a Winchester model 70 chambered in .270 Win(warning this recoils quite a bit for someone not used to hunting weight bolt actions)
I started hunting at age 12 with a Winchester made 1917 Enfield which had been "sporterized" by my dad, grandfather and a local gunsmith. It has a 4x Weaver of 50's - 60's vintage on it. I killed a lot of deer with that rifle and an Elk too.

BUT

If I were hunting deer or smaller game only at 0 - 300 yards, I would have something smaller lighter and with minimal recoil. 20 years ago, the 243 Win had a bad rep for killing deer, but I would gues this was with the ol' $5 - $8 /box bullets of the day. Nowadays, with a newfangled super bullet properly matched to the 243 Win's velocity, I think it would be a super rifle.

260 fit's that role well also.

Also, if I wasn't likely to get a 15 yard shot, but I might go as far as 300 at the outside, a standard 6x is a super optic. Sure, you won't be able to tell cool stories about pulling up on a 25 yd deer at 12x or missing a chance at a 100 yd deer moving from 3x to 9x, but who cares. . .It is about putting meat on the table and getting a rack hanging out of the back of the truck.

Last, there was a post about being a good sportsman and being ethical. Yes, this is important. I probably wouldn't cry if one got away from me, but I'm the type who knows how far I can shoot and puts the bullet on the mark or darn close. Killed this year's deer with a slug through the heart. I also had a bad day at about 15 where I got on a good doe antelope and shot her. She must of stepped or I just screwed up. She was about 100 yards away. I chased her down to the last shot of ammo I had. . .I finally got a "good" 300 shot with her stopped and put a kill shot in her. It does feel bad, but hunting is about knowing your limits, working within them and getting the job done when things go wrong.

Page generated in 0.05610 seconds with 7 queries