View Single Post
Old December 5, 2012, 11:52 AM   #45
Picher

Dad never owned a gun. I loved westerns, getting hooked from the serials and movies at the theaters. That was Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, and Hopalong Cassidy days. I used to play cowboys almost every day with kids in the neighborhood.

My brother, who was 7 years older, passed down his Red Ryder and after wearing that out, I bought a Daisy pump gun, wore it out, bought another and wore that one out also. By that time, my brother bought a Rem 514, a cheap single shot. When he went to college, I wore that one out also.

My B-I-L introduced me to handgun shooting. He had a cheap Sheridan Knockabout single-shot break-open pistol and one day (about 1957, at age 13) he let me shoot it at a can on a fencepost. I used it when he was away in the Air Force. After his passing a few years ago, I ended up with the piece, but have yet to fire it. I just keep it for the memory of firing a handgun for the first time.

I started buying guns with money earned working for my dad's business and kept trading about 5 times a year through high school, never owning more than a couple of guns, but shooting thousands of rounds a month.

In my 20s, I got into competitive handgun shooting, skeet shooting, and turkey shoots. I did okay and have been shooting both for fun and competitively in several venues ever since. I also learned to tune rifles and handguns and had a (hobby) gun repair/accurizing business for years.
People are like rifles. Some are tried and true, having great eyes, personality, and fun to be with. Others never seem to hit the mark with you. Still others go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to know most of them.

Last edited by Picher; December 5, 2012 at 04:49 PM.

Page generated in 0.04355 seconds with 7 queries