View Single Post
Old November 30, 2012, 03:40 PM   #49
F. Guffey

The Belted H&H case, in the beginning, was never given much consideration in front of the belt, like a rimmed case the belt held the case to the rear and the case body filled the chamber when fired.

There was never a need for a plug type gage as go, no and beyond. Because of the lack of shop skill training among reloaders the go-gage, the no go-gage and the field reject were nice to have. Like the 303 British with a rim, the thickness of the rim off set the gap between the bolt face and the beginning of the chamber body, again, little consideration was given to the chamber in front of the rim. Back to the part where the rim held the case to the rear, same for the belt, the belt held the case to the rear when fired, when fired the case body filled the chamber, meaning the case did not get longer when the case body expanded. When fired the case gets shorter, again, there are different receiver designs.

Reloading, in the beginning reloaders had discipline, they would limit the number of times they would size and shoot belted cases, a good number was 4. A belted case that can not be sized was/is caused by full length sizing and reloaders that could not measure the distance from the bolt face the the beginning of the case body ahead of the belt. After all, if they had a gage it would be the go-gage, by now everyone should know the go-gage is going to allow the bolt to close, by how much? No one knows, except?

Case length? Measured from the bolt face to the shoulder, again, a gage is not necessary for the smith and reloaders that have a good, fundamental, basic understanding of shop skills and practices.

L. Willis comparator, not necessary, expensive, nice? but not necessary. I make comparators for my use, a comparator does not cost me above the price of a dial caliper or a height gage and or a feeler gage, the humblest of tools, I take pride in being able to use them, it is one thing to have a tool that has a single function, my feeler gages have a triple function, the feeler gage is a standard, the feeler gage is a transfer, the feeler gage is a verifying tool. It is like knowing how to hammer, knowing how to hammer does not trump ‘ knowing where to hammer’.

A magnum belted case can be modified to a chamber length gage, a magnum belted case can be modified to measure the amount of head space that exist at the belt, does not require a go, a no go or a field reject gage, just guessing but the 3 gages could cost $45.00. Magnum cases have been sized down in front of the belt with collets installed in a lathe. Again, I am the fan of cutting down on all that case travel.

SE, folks shooting belted cases back in the '50's and '60's learned that the first time a belted case is fired, it typically gets a tiny ridge about 1/32 inch in front of the belt. That's where the case body in front of the belt expanded against the chamber headspace shoulder edge. Unless that ridge gets sized back down to the rest of the body diameter, best accuracy won't be had. It causes inconsistent positioning of the back end of the case in the chamber.

1/32” is .031” +, they, the shooters of the 50s and 60s should have gotten their money back, I have belted magnum reamers, there is no radius at the belt/case body juncture, if they noticed a ridge forming on their cases they should have know .031” was greater than the total amount of head space. You will have to tell me, again, how much head space the magnum belted chamber has/had, as I said, I measure the length of the chamber or the length difference between a plug gage and the chamber. Then there is the part that is always left out when pushing L. Willis Tools, there are many shooters of belted magnums that never experience the ‘tiny 1/32 inch ridge’ ahead of the belt. And never is their a mention about the the load as in starting and maximum, never is there a mention about measuring before and again after, always left out is the part where the case head is crushed.

Then there was the Model 70 Winchester with a 300 Win Mag chamber, we had words, they started with thinking I was difficult, after that they decided I was impossible, There is no shortage of dies around here, there is no such thing as ‘a case whipping my (all of) my presses. I have a 300 Win Mag forming/trim die. cases fired in that rifle required the collet mounted in my lathe, question, do you think using a collet to restore the die to full length sizing is a good ideal? I don’t, I informed Winchester I wanted a chamber that fit my dies, or I wanted a set of Winchester dies to fit their chamber. They returned the rifle in a new box, one day I may decide to take it to the range, it was returned 4 + years ago, I have Model 70 Barrels, changing the barrel would require another bolt for 30/06 case heads. Winchester had the rifle, they could not determine the dimensions of the chamber, and they did not ask me how I determined I needed a Winchester die set for their chamber. They instructed their warranty man in the area to polish, hone, or ream the chamber, I ask, how does polishing, honing and or reaming make the chamber smaller, but for most L. Willis collet sizer die is an option.

I am the fan of cutting down on all that case traveling.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.04662 seconds with 7 queries