View Single Post
Old November 29, 2012, 08:52 AM   #8
Picher

One Rifle Days:
In the early 60's, I had a glass-bedded, Bishop-Picher stocked, Savage 30-06 with a 2.5x Weaver that was used for all CF shooting/hunting. Then, I sold it and bought a .22-250, bedded, Rem ADL that was used for everything, including killing a few deer, shooting lots of varmints, fun at the range, and winning lots of turkey shoots.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today, I can't have just one centerfire rifle for everything, because I've built a more specialized small collection to cover various game, varmint, and range use.

For longer-range deer hunting, my favorite is a Rem stainless 700 BDL, .270 Win, HS Precision stock, Leupold 3-9X VXII.

For large varmints, I favor the 1980s vintage Rem 700 ADL, Pac-Nor barreled, pillar bedded, .243 Win, with 2.5 - 10x scope. (Also used by grandkids for deer hunting.)

For walkabout general hunting, I like my new Tikka T3 Lite, .243 Win, with Leupold VX2. (This is also used for deer hunting by some of my grandkids.)

For smaller and/or shorter range varmint and range use, Tikka 595, pillar-bedded, .223 Rem with 4.5-14X Mueller. This one goes to the range often and is the most accurate/fun CF rifle I own (1/4 minute with handloads).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
People are like rifles. Some are tried and true, having great eyes, personality, and fun to be with. Others never seem to hit the mark with you. Still others go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to know most of them.

Page generated in 0.04195 seconds with 7 queries