View Single Post
Old November 27, 2012, 02:39 PM   #68
COSteve

While I don't have anything against a 9mm for CCW as it is adequate for personnel, those of us who take our pistols out into the woods as protection from thick skin, possibly dangerous animals don't find the 9mm a useful caliber. Further, I handload and there isn't much cost advantage in handloading 9mm over my 357mag, 40, 45, and 10mm handguns so I haven't a need for a 9mm for cost reasons. Lastly, I don't like the idea of training on a platform or caliber that I won't be actually using so a 22lr or 9mm training weapon isn't in the cards either.

My daily CCW piece is a Glock 23 stuffed with 180grn Speer Gold Dots which is great for a defense against an attacker. However, in the Rocky Mountains, my 'walkabout' sidearm is my custom Glock 20L loaded with 200grn hardcast. At just over 1,400fps and over 870ft/lbs ME, these handloads provide protection against anything I might encounter. Best of all, with the magwell removed, my custom G20L actually weighs less loaded with 17+1 rds than my 6" barreled S&W 686 with only 6 rds of 158grn 357mag ammo on board so it's the logical choice for my woods gun.

I practice regularly with both my G23 and G20L at the range where I also shoot my 45acp Springfield Range Officer for fun. Neither the 40 or the 45 have the trajectory for longer range shooting that I regularly practice at. Anything over 100yd for the 40 and over 50yd for the 45 produce trajectory drops that I don't like so I limit both to those distances. However, my custom longslide and my hot 10mm 165grn loads gives me a flat trajectory so that I can shoot accurately at our steel plates at 200yds.

I've come to practice at ranges of at least 50yds and farther exclusively because it helps me pay attention to my fundamentals. At those ranges any mistakes are magnified dramatically so I'm constantly having to watch my grip, sight picture, and trigger management. With my aim small, miss small philosophy, I work on the fundamentals constantly so I'm always sure of my proficiency.

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Buckaroo Banzai 1984
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert 2009

Page generated in 0.04689 seconds with 7 queries