View Single Post
Old November 27, 2012, 10:35 AM   #28
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618
I object to calling it a weapon too on the basis of my Ruger 77/22 is a rifle that I use to shoot small groups at 100 yards. My 22/45 is a handgun that my girlfriend uses to make Diet Coke cans dance about in the back yard. Those are guns are not being used as weapons. However, my M-4A1 that I carried in the Sandbox is a weapon, provided I was using it to fight bad guys, not run it in a three gun match.

What's that old saw "I'm the weapon; my gun is the tool" or something like that? While I find that a bit melodramatic, I don't think any sort of gun, be it a .22 match rifle or a BAR sitting in an armory is a weapon anymore than the old F-4s sitting in the bone yard. They are tools and object. They don't anything on thier own.
That arguments been had 1,000 times and no one ever changes their minds but I find it silly.

"Weapon" is a general classification which fits the specific item of a firearm. A given firearms actual use over it's individual life or at any specific moment is irrelevant.

It's like saying a parked car is not a vehicle because vehicles are used to transport people and it's not transporting people when it's parked.

Or a book is not a literary work unless it's being read. I could use a book as a hammer and it's still a literary work.

You can use a gun as a hammer and it's still not a hammer. It's still a gun and it's still weapon by basic design.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.

Page generated in 0.05238 seconds with 7 queries