Originally Posted by Powderman
OK, Dash...I've got the old gunsmith hat on firmly now.
First thing--don't get frustrated! The problem can be solved.
Let's do some fault isolation. First thing is identifying the exact problem.
Your post = the bolt won't close.
We need to know now exactly HOW the bolt won't close.
Please post the following:
1. Will the bolt pick up the round from the magazine?
2. Will the bolt FULLY seat the cartridge in the chamber? If not, where does it stop? At the shoulder of the case? Halfway down the case body? Where?
3. Can you close the bolt fully and smoothly on an empty chamber?
4. If so, will the cartridge fully seat--but the bolt handle will NOT turn down?
5. Important!!! When you experience the problem, does the bolt become harder and harder to move until it stops (soft stop) or if you atempt to chamber does the bolt move freely and then come to a HARD stop against an unknown object?
Please try to post answers to all of this. The problem can be identified--it just takes a bit of brainstorming.
(An idea--do you have a webcam--or a small camera where you can send a short movie/MPEG file?)
Ok Powderman.. following are the answers to yiur questions.
#1 - Yes.
#2 - Yes Factory ammo. My reloads will not. Im not quite sure where it stops, it appears to be just before the bolt is fully forward and I try to lock and turn to the down position. It will not allow me to complete thst part of the process.
#3 - Yes
#4 - Yes, but only with the brass that I resized.
#5 - The bolt glides fine back and forth, I just can make that final fraction forwafd that allows me to turn the bolt to the locked position. (Again, thats only the case with the resized brass, factory ammo is cycling fine.)
Note: This is after resetting the resize die to touching the shell holder plate and then going 1.5 turns further down and locking into place. There was no change at all in the resized brass from that point either, the same result was acheived, which is the bolt will not close fully.
As far as your webcam idea goes, I have the one on my cell phone and I also have a GoPro HD Hero2 as well. Id probably go with that one as the quality is night and day but uploading and processing will be a bit. Ill gladly do it for you though if you insist on it.
Oh and by the way, Im back to being equally if not more frustrated than I was when I took that break yesterday afternoon! Ive tried everything over an over again, the more I retrace the most mundane step, the more I feel stupid for doing it. I know what to do, ive done it thousands of times with no mistakes. Now, I do the same task and nothing comes out right, not even a slight improvement to show im on the right track just continual failure!