View Single Post
Old November 24, 2012, 02:14 PM   #42
Rainbow Demon

Quote:
All this speculation and personal opinons and yet nobody has posted any documentation
If you want official documents on any such incident you should be prepared to obtain court orders for hospital and police reports, or decisions by the court.

I know of two incidents were a cocked revolver went off injurying the owners. In both incidents the owner temporarily lost control of the handgun due to a sudden unexpected jolt. The revolvers went off by contact of some portion of the hand thumb or fingers with the trigger, but not through consious deliberate touching of the trigger.
I either case the revolver would not have gone off if it had not been cocked.
The only documentation of one of these incidents is what I posted on another thread about rendering first aid to the victim, and the other would be sealed hospital records and perhaps a police report in a neighboring state, both would require a court order to examine.

I've made repairs on several single action revolvers to restore a badly worn full cock notch, and several of those hammers had the half cock notch completely broken away. Most people don't seem to realize that a hair trigger is not a good thing, and more often than not is a sign of excessive wear.
Most of those revolvers would go off with the slightest jolt, if cocked, but would be extremely unlikely to go off if not cocked.
Those with broken half cock notch could go off while being loaded or unloaded.
A bent sear could produce the same effect, causing a phantom half cock condition.
I haven't shot myself or others with a single action handgun by accident, but while examing unloaded revolvers brought to me for repairs I've had the cocked hammer drop with no pressure on the trigger, and know that if loaded it would have gone off.
Theres not a scrap of documention to explain these particular malfunctions other than this post.

Perhaps you should contact an attorney who specializes in suing firearms companies. They may have records of very old cases that they'd be willing to release if the people involved are all dead and gone, otherwise professional client confidentiality would apply.

Or you might contact these people and ask for available documents on the 600 injuries due to AD involving the older model Ruger single action revolvers.
http://consumerfed.org/pdfs/Firearms.pdf

Last edited by Rainbow Demon; November 24, 2012 at 02:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.05016 seconds with 7 queries