View Single Post
Old November 24, 2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Crunchy Frog

I loaded for years on a single stage RCBS Rockchucker. Decided to buy a progressive after I started shooting cowboy action and my ammo consumption rate went up dramatically.

Went with the LNL-AP for some of the reasons you mentioned. I have added a casefeeder but not a bullet feeder (the latter is not for use with lead bullets which is all we use in SASS shooting). I agree with the comment that if you are going to add a casefeeder the overall cost is very close to the Dillon 650 (I know you said not to mention Dillon but since cost was part of the equation I had to say the "D word").

My experience has been pretty positive. This is my only progressive press so I don't have any other product with which to make a comparison.

I followed Hornday's setup instructions to the letter and also took advantage of a couple of tips I got from various sources, such as polishing the primer shuttles with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper before use, and lubricating the primer shuttle pathway with graphite.

The priming is the feature where a lot of people report problems. Mine was very sensitive to fouling from spilled powder, grit from dirty cases, old priming residue, whatever. My solution was to clean the priming system (especially the primer seater punch) periodically, at first after every couple hundred rounds. Otherwise the grit or sludge would foul the punch and prevent it from fully retracting, which in turn blocked the shuttle from going into battery. After my press broke in a little the priming began working much better.

The time necessary to change calibers varies depending on what parts you buy. For example, the press comes with five bushings and one powder measure lower assembly (the powder measure is case activated and the setup of the lower assembly is determined by case length). For each caliber I load I have dies (of course), LNL bushings for each die, a powder measure lower assembly (this is the big time saver), and a powder measure insert that I have pre-set for my favorite charge in that caliber. I'm pretty sure I can beat a Dillon owner in changing over.

I will concede that if you are changing from rifle to pistol or vice versa that it would take more time to change out the powder measure rotor. If I were doing that with any regularity I might have to spring for a second powder measure.

One reason the LNL-AP was on my "short list" was because it is a five station press. I wanted to add a powder check die as a safety measure. Once I got the press and saw how the case activated powder measure operates I wondered it a powder check die was really necessary but I went ahead and bought one-I chose the RCBS Lockout Die; it does not depend on the operator to react to a problem detected by the die (as with the RCBS Powder Check Die or the similar Hornady Powder Cop). Instead, it stops the press cold if it detects an overcharged or undercharged case. These conditions can and do happen. I recommend the Lockout Die.

Page generated in 0.04822 seconds with 7 queries