View Single Post
Old November 22, 2012, 03:52 PM   #44
1911Tuner

Quote:
Really? Prior to the Beretta 92 they must have issued series 80s then?

So what side gun did the US military had from 1911 to 1990?
The US military never issued a "Series" anything.

Quote:
It was called M1911 and by all means it was a series 70 not an 80.
Colt Series 70 pistols were introduced in 1973. Series 70 identifies those pistols that were equipped with collet bushings and Accurizer (tm) barrels, which were the forerunners of today's barrels with enlarged muzzles. In the early days of the Series 80...introduced in 1983...a few were also equipped with the barrel and bushing, but this was due to Colt not being wasteful. For a short time, Series 70 and Series 80 pistols were being produced at the same time.

There were no Series 70 Commanders...lightweight or otherwise. All Series 70 Colts were 5-inch pistols. Neither were there any Series 70 Springfields or Kimbers, etc. Series 70 and Series 80 are Colt trademarks, although the term "Series 70" has come to be taken as "Doesn't have the lawyer parts."

And the thumb safety doesn't "lock" the sear. It blocks the sear's movement, but doesn't lock it. Correctly fitted, it barely touches the sear, and in some pistols, it doesn't even touch it. Because the hammers had long, undersquare hooks, the Army Ordnance specs allowed for .005 inch of sear movement with the safety engaged.

So, no. No sear lock occurs.

The "locked" part of Cocked and Locked refers to the slide.

Quote:
Yes I'm a gunsmith but it is not my profession and yes I do not accept the series 80 at all and I'll be more than glad to convert any series 80 into 70 any day of the week. Sue me if you like.
I've been wrenchin' on 1911 pistols since 1965, and I don't wish to sue anybody, and what you do as far as removing or disabling mechanical safeties is 100% your call. My comment wasn't directed at you, anyway. It was rather thrown out to give those who would remove theirs another perspective.

And those little frame fillers were never intended to be permanent. Their purpose was originally for gunsmiths who wanted to save time doing trigger jobs...so they wouldn't have to fiddle with the extra parts every time they checked their work.

Page generated in 0.05264 seconds with 7 queries