View Single Post
Old November 21, 2012, 07:42 PM   #29
dbooksta

Quote:
the 2nd Ammendment does not belong to any coalition of shooters,the Creator endowed it to my grandchildren,and their children.It is not your perogative to bargain it away.

Each little click of the ratchet,the screw turns tighter,and likely what is lost will not be regained.
Please note (again) the following:
  • I am not disputing the fact that there is a natural right to keep and bear arms.
  • I am not proposing to give any ground on RKBA. I agree that both tactically and in principle we should never concede any ground, and that those who did so in the past were fools.
  • I am trying to get a feel for the utility function of other RKBA proponents by asking them to consider a trade -- i.e., a transaction in which they accept a new restriction that "hurts" less in exchange for removing an existing restriction that "hurts" more.
  • This is a hypothetical discussion. We are not actually bargaining with our opponents, and even if an opponent showed up nobody here has the power or authority to put any such trade into effect.

So why not take advantage of the opportunity to explore and declare which facets of the RKBA you value most? And again, it doesn't benefit the discussion to just say "all of them:" That boat sailed a long time ago, and ever since losses and gains to the RKBA have played out according to political assessments of which would be politically easiest and most valuable to infringe and protect.

I might have posed this question a different way: "What restriction should we try to repeal next?" The problem is that the best answer to that is typically "The one we could most realistically and easily get repealed." That's an interesting question, but a far different discussion from the one I propose here, which might be rephrased, "What is the most important restriction you would repeal?"

Last edited by dbooksta; November 21, 2012 at 08:02 PM.

Page generated in 0.04381 seconds with 7 queries