I know of two men who got a very small amount of Arsine gas. This was not from batteries, but the results are the same.
One took a medical retirement and died within the following year from complications of the poisoning.
The other is still working with some severe heart tissue damage.
He went in for multiple blood replacement transfusions in the weeks following the incident.
The worst part was none of this was their fault, a cleaner had been used that was not supposed to be. When they were welding on the section of pipeline they got arsine gas in the smoke burning off from the cleaner.
Batteries are a really bad idea, James Pond I know you ditched the idea, I'm putting this up for anyone else who may think this is a good way to get lead.
The best shot I ever made was an accident