View Single Post
Old November 17, 2012, 11:43 AM   #33
Bart B.

For those questioning my reference to Sierra Bullets' tools and techniques to make super accurate ammo. . . . .

I first witnessed what Sierra does loading fired cases and testing their bullets for accuracy back in the late 1960's. Their first ballistic tech, Martin Hull, giving me a tour of their facility was shooting groups in the ones at 100 yards with 30 caliber 168's. He's the one that convinced Sierra in the 1950's to not waste time measuring everything and just load ammo with standard stuff efficiently. He was one of the USA's top high power match rifle competitors in his day. And shared to anyone wanting to know how Sierra's bullets shot so accurate.

It's been the same way with so many high power rifle competitors winning matches and setting records. Especially Mid Tompkins, who's probably reloaded some of the most accurate ammo ever used anywhere and probably been used to set more records than any other person reloading ammo; he doesn't prep cases but may sort by weight to a 1% spread for very long range use.

I've called and emailed Sierra a few times over the years getting info from Carroll Pilant, Rich Macholz and Kevin Thomas on what they're doing. They've all told me Sierra's been doing the same thing I mentioned in post 30 in this thread since the 1950's. Their accuracy test barrels have chambers at SAAMI specs, or ones close enough to not matter and none are tight-necked ones common in benchrest and other tiny-group disciplines.

I've shot matches with top competitors, sometimes out scoring them, and learned what they do that outshoots traditional benchrest ways. That's why I also became a top ranked competitor. Even outshot those kids on the US Olympic Team a time or two.

As a former US Palma Team member, I was asked to help develop a load for Sierra's new 155-gr. Palma bullet. The results was .308 Win. ammo that shot sub 1/2 MOA in tests at 600 yards as well in a couple dozen opr more different rifles from around the world. That ammo had new unprepped cases with a 4 grain spread, charge weights with a 3/10ths grain spread, bullet runout up to .004".

I'm not an admirer of tiny, record groups. Seldom, if ever, are they repeated with the same rifle, ammo and shooter. And they only happen when all the variables pretty much cancel each other out. Even the smallest group in a six, 5- or 10-shot benchrest aggregate is dwarfed by the larger ones fired. But that set of shooter, ammo and rifle will no doubt continue to shoot no worse than about what his largest group is. That's what can be counted on all the time. So, I'm probably a wierdo wanting to see what the group size is when all the variables add up together, especially from rifles fired off ones shoulder. It's no wonder to me that so many of those single-group record holders don't even place in a many-group aggregate.

Most benchresters are now using full length bushing dies and their aggregate group's and score's have gotten smaller because of it; neck-only sizing's proved to not be all that great for best accuracy one can count on all the time. But their best single few-shot groups are still the same size.

Last edited by Bart B.; November 17, 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.04416 seconds with 7 queries