View Single Post
Old November 16, 2012, 04:07 PM   #68
Webleymkv

Originally posted by Dragline45
Quote:
The point I was trying to make is 9mm and .45acp do not reach the decibel levels of the .357 magnum, not even close considering just a small rise in the decibel levels is a huge increase in sound. It's pretty obvious the higher the decibel level the more potential to cause major hearing loss so I don't know what you mean it cant be quantified. The point I am also trying to make is the .357 magnum isn't a magic round that will do anything the .45 or 9mm cant do as a self defense round. The .357 magnum is punishing to your ears so if I can decrease the chance of major hearing damage while still using a capable round like the 9mm or .45 I see no reason not to.
You said that one should use a 9mm or .45 ACP in order to "save your ears". We already know that to be factually incorrect since 9mm and .45 ACP also generate decibel levels high enough to cause permanent hearing damage from a single exposure, but I figured I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you meant 9mm and .45 ACP would simply cause less hearing damage than a .357 Magnum would. So, the question remains how much less hearing damage will a 9mm or .45 ACP cause than a .357 Magnum would?

You also said that a 9mm or .45 ACP will "get the job done just as well" as a .357 Magnum. So, one can only assume that since you're able to pronounce one cartridge just as effective as another in such absolute terms, you must have some way to measure cartridge effectiveness. So, the second part of my question is exactly how do you measure cartridge effectiveness to such a precise degree that you can pronounce 9mm and .45 ACP to be just as effective as .357 Magnum in such absolute terms?

You see, it seems to me that, in order to make an informed decision about decibel level vs. effectiveness, one would have to be able to quantify how much hearing damage a given decibel level is likely to cause and how effective different cartridges are so that we actually have something to compare. Even if we assume that the .357 Magnum causes more hearing damage due to it's higher decibel levels, we cannot resolutely say that the cartridge has no benefit over 9mm and .45 ACP unless both the levels of hearing damage caused and the terminal effectiveness of the compared calibers can be quantified in some way.

Page generated in 0.04892 seconds with 7 queries