View Single Post
Old November 15, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
BigJimP

all kinds of things...can affect powder drop ....

a. not cycling the handle all the way thru....
b. obstruction in powder measure...
c. static elec in powder measure / and or in powder storage cannister ( most of us use anti-static dryer sheets to get rid of static). If you have grains of powder sticking to the sides of the powder measure - you have a static problem.
d. human error - in operating the press...( something caused you to take cartridges out of rotation / ...do something ...put them back in and got confused....
e. excessive humidity can cause powder to change how it flows - but in winter, static is probably a bigger issue
f. did you use the correct powder...
g. is the powder measure tight, is it adjusted properly - make sure any nuts or bolts on it are tight.../ if it has a fail safe rod - is it adjusted properly .....

In general,

My procedure when I set down to press...
a. I weigh each of my first 10 drops....making sure they are all within 0.1grain of my goal drop...
b. If they are right on ....then out of next 10, I measure 1.....out of next 10, I measure 1.....so I know, that everything is 100%.
c. I rig a little mirror - to look into the case / so I can see the volume of powder in the case - after I drop powder and before I seat bullet....

----------------
my guess is, on the bad rounds....you had no powder.../ primer only ...and you were lucky the bullet cleared the barrel.

Page generated in 0.04009 seconds with 7 queries