View Single Post
Old November 15, 2012, 03:22 PM   #38
natman

Quote:
Target acquisition is faster with a bead. All the professional exhibition shooters set speed and number of targets broken records with a bead.
They were wingshooting. I'll readily agree that GRS have no business on a gun used for wingshooting. However, the topic under discussion is self defense shotguns, an entirely different application.

Quote:
From the AIP Tactical web site:
"Ghost rings can get you killed ( my opinion)." Bead sight or rifle sights and yes the tritium inserts for the rifle sights are worth it on this weapon."
That is the owner of AIP's "opinion" not mine. I'll take his advice. This is home defense, not a war.
It's seems there are a lot of people who criticize GRS uninhibited by a complete lack of understanding of how GRS work or any experience with them whatsoever. Now the proprietor of AIP has enough experience in combat shotguns that had he chosen to back that statement up with some sort of rational explanation as to why, I would have read it with great interest. However since he didn't, I remain unconvinced.

While we're swapping quotes, here one from Jeff Cooper, who knew a thing or two about defense guns:

Quote:
Hard as it may be to believe, there are still people around who do not know about the "ghost−ring" sight. This sighting system was described in the early decades of the twentieth century by both Townsend Whelen and Karamojo Bell. It is so far superior to any form of open sight, for either snap shooting or precision work, that there is simply nothing to discuss.

Cooper's Commentaries, No. 1, Vol 9
Not that it's stopping us.

Here's another:

Quote:
I was able to deliver the Marlin "Co−pilot" from Wild West in Alaska to its new home as a lion−stopper in Africa. This piece, as you know, is a cutdown and customized version of the Marlin Model 95 45−70. It was much admired in the field, and one of its most admired features was a sighting system I proposed, which consists of a brilliant red shrouded bead front and a Steve Wickert ghost−ring rear. This is about the fastest arrangement I have seen, and considering that the weapon will not ordinarily be used beyond a range of 25 meters, it is every bit as precise as the shooter can make it.

Cooper's Commentaries, No. 4, Vol 5
I suspect that a lot of people think that GRS are slow because their only experience is with peep sights on target rifles. On a peep, the hole is small and one centers the front sight precisely for maximum accuracy.

GRS, despite their superficial resemblance to peep sights, do NOT work the same way. When using a GRS, one simply puts the front sight on the target. One does not look at the rear sight at all. The eye will reflexively center the front sight in the ring and no conscious effort or time is wasted doing so. The result is a very fast and accurate sight.

Here's an article that explains it well:

http://africanxmag.com/ghost_rings.htm

Page generated in 0.04407 seconds with 7 queries