View Single Post
Old November 14, 2012, 08:43 AM   #38
Magnum Wheel Man
I test hung up bolt action rifles on my walls last night... got my bored vertical rack boards back from my machinist on Monday... put a couple coats of urethane on them, bored 2 screw counter sink holes, measured where they needed to be, so the longest stock & barrels would fit properly in the corner, & put them up... I'll finish putting a couple more coats of urethane while they are mounted on the walls... I used my cheapie hardware store dowels to verify everything would hang up right... I picked up a pack of 1/2" mushroom shapped plugs... my 1st thought was to cover up the screws, but MRS suggested I put them in all the non-used holes, after I finish setting everything up... I like that idea, it'll give everything a more custom look, & if I wanted to shift anything around, I'd just have to pop out the plug & slip a dowel in the hole... I got 14 scoped bolt actions on the rack in the corner, & have room for a couple more... I might pull my 25-06 with the unertl scope on it, out of the storage crate, to make sure that'll fit ok... I have a little bolt action single shot & my CASS lever gun on the wall right now, those will come down, giving me room for 4-5 more rifles in the corner total ( I just put them up to verify that my measurement were correct for a full variety of guns ) the lever guns will go on a different wall, along with my single action revolvers... the single shot will likely go on the moveable /wheeled center vertical rack, that the shotguns & other single shot big bore rifles will be going on... I think I have 5-6 more bolt action repeaters in the storage crate that will go on the wall in this corner... it's a dream come true... to see them on the wall in all their glory... now to pull them down, & finish up the racks, so they can get back to their new home...

I'm also thinking about some sort of finishing touch to the dowel ends ( brass would look nice ??? )... I planned on finish sanding them nice, but a round ball, some sort of cap, or even a drawer pull on the end might look nicer... just thinking about ideas... that'll get done much later, after the rest of the room is completed... I was thinking, that a 1/2" deep brass ring, might look intersting, with finished wood on the end ) again MRS suggested the ends of cases ( I had some case head "buttons" made up from old case heads, for my holster making a while back ) that would be cool, but doing the rim fire 17 would be tougher, & I don't think there is a head stamp on any rimfire ??? but for the centerfire cartridges, that could be done, by gluing a case head button from the cartridge the gun is chambered for on the end of the 2 dowels used for that rifle ???

any other suggestions for dressing up the ends of the dowels ???

I'll have the next lot of paneling in on Thursday, & will be able to finish up the other corner, so I can start my loading bench...

I'll have to find a way to get a couple pics up somehow, as the finished Hackberry looks mighty nice, under all those bolt actions...
In life you either make dust or eat dust...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; November 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Page generated in 0.04502 seconds with 7 queries