View Single Post
Old November 8, 2012, 03:03 PM   #16
scsov509

Quote:
Something to think about...
and that is gas flow and pressure in a suppressed vs. a non-suppressed firearm.

A 6920 without suppressor functions well without it. With one mounted--and no further modifications--you will batter and beat the inner parts very badly, and parts life will be limited, indeed.

Solution: There are two. Either have a adjustable gas block mounted, or buy a purpose-built rifle with the proper sized gas port to function normally with the suppressor.
I'll add that most commercial guns are way over-gassed to begin because they're designed to feed reliably with the lessor amount of gas that is generated with lower power commercial rounds (steel is notoriously under-powered). So indeed, add a suppressor and you can get a lot more gas than is necessary to reliably cycle the action.

I run a Kestrel 5.56 on a my AR, and have been able to manage the extra gas pressure by simply switching to a full auto bolt carrier group and a heavier buffer. The extra weight has been more than sufficient for my purposes, and has at the same time kept my rifle still functioning reliably when not running the can. I ran 800 rounds through my AR this August-September, and the heavier buffer and BCG worked great. I've got a number of friends who also run suppressors, and we've all managed to avoid the adjustable gas block by going to heavier buffer and bolt carrier group route.

Page generated in 0.05238 seconds with 7 queries