View Single Post
Old November 7, 2012, 12:53 AM   #55
MLeake

To throw in a vehicular comparison, I have an Avalanche. It is a 4WD. Previously, I have owned a Silverado Z71, and an Explorer Sport. They were also 4WD.

A lot of people buy SUVs and trucks in RWD mode. They don't need the 4WD, so they don't wish to pay for purchase, maintenance, or fuel costs.

Some people use 4WD on a regular basis. For them, it is a must have.

In my case, I use 4WD reasonably often, for instance when dealing with snow, ice, loose dirt or sand, or standing water. Most of the time, though, I don't use 4WD. When you need it, it is very, very nice to have it. For me, having the capability when I do need it is enough of an advantage to outweigh the associated increased costs.

Obviously, not every truck buyer would agree with me. (My uncle, for instance, has a 2WD extended bed F150... but he only bought it because he is into RC airplanes, and his planes have 7' wingspans... he can take them to the airfield in his F150 without disassembling them.)

OP, only you can decide what works best for you.

I'm one of those people who tends toward the "better to have and not need, than need and not have" end of the spectrum, so take any advice from me with that grain of salt.

(My Avalanche has in its various tool compartments such things as a first aid kit, an entrenching tool, tire chains, jumper cables, a portable jump battery / air compressor / light station, an emergency blanket, a fire extinguisher, a couple spare quarts of oil and a funnel... you get the idea.)

Page generated in 0.04226 seconds with 7 queries